Thursday 16 February 2012

Am I a writer if a tree falls in the forest and...

Are you a writer if you're not actively writing?

Deep, man. A friend posed this a little while back, in the rhetorical fashion. As I remember, all of us readily agreed with sentiment; after all, it's about slogging and grafting, not coasting. But I can't help thinking the question has a telling ring of 'if a tree falls in the forest' about it, and much like that old favourite, I think the answer entirely depends on your terms.

I've had a think about it (it takes me a while) and I've come to the conclusion:

Maybe. You are a writer, at some level, if anyone is reading you. 'Writer' as a meaningful term is really only a shorthand for someone who writes something, AND puts it out there, AND is at least recognised to the extent that someone has seen or heard some of their words, whether it inspired them or gave them an appalling migraine. The experiences of a thousand writing groups and forums would seem to verify that merely putting pleasing words down on paper, statistically speaking, would seem to be the easier part of the gig. Otherwise I'm a writer every time I make a shopping list.

Some related questions:
  • What am I when I'm asleep?
  • Is Dickens a writer any more? When is he going to finish The Mystery of Edwin Drood?
  • Am I a writer if it says so on my business card?

3 comments:

Max said...

Is a shit writer a writer?

Jamie said...

Yes I am

Max said...

You mean: Yes, I am.
Oh.