Thursday 29 December 2011

Notes On A Lack of Scandal

I'm comfortably listening to Radio 4. Suddenly I hear a demented but tooth-grindingly familiar melody. I drop my mug of coffee on the workstop where it will bounce a couple of times, and launch myself headlong at the radio, one arm stretched out ahead, to connect to the off button on the radio. All in slow motion of course - I sail through the air, a look of pain on my suddenly pale face, splashes of coffee gracefully ascending from the worktop, and there is a slowed-down shout of
Nooooo!
It's The Archers, of course, and if anyone else in Britain is anything like me then I'd imagine there must be a sudden drop in power usage on the national grid at that moment.

To be fair, it's really only the music that makes me want to take my own life; I'm merely apathetic about the programme itself. Shortly after finishing my last post with mention of Achilles quite incidentally hewing off someone's head with an arcing spray of spinal marrow, I happened to switch on the radio to hear some character sighing about yield quotas, and I thought:

My, we are easily pleased these days, aren't we?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You don't find it jolly? Sourpuss. Though I admit it doesn't quite fit with stories of sighing farm folk